Reverb10: One Word

January 01, 2011


Reverb 10 is an annual event and online initiative to reflect on your year and manifest what’s next. Use the end of your year as an opportunity to reflect on what's happened, and to send out reverberations for the year ahead.

Encapsulate the year 2010 in one word. Explain why you’re choosing that word.

Struggle. Starting 3Q2009, my occupation changed from student to employee and breadwinner. I can't seem to remember anything except waking up unnaturally, trying to cope with work and thinking about how to get out of this trap every morning. Of course I never haven't found an answer to my own question (yet). Meeting tight deadlines, staying on top of things and living up to expectations are just the basics. I'm already worn out from all the grilling and U-turns just to reach the bare minimum. I travelled in order to keep myself sane. Days passed, months passed, everyday I went through the same motion and now a year has passed. Other than the 5 trips I did, 2010 was just very routine, monotonous and stagnant. I'm not moving. I'm not worse off neither am I progressing. My life had come to a standstill in 2010.

Now, imagine it’s one year from today. What would you like the word to be that captures 2011 for you?

Find. I thought about the song Que Sara Sara I learnt in kindergarten. 'The future's not ours to see' is a convenient way to brush aside children's never-ending questions about what they will be like in the future. But I can no longer just dismiss the future with 'What will be, will be'. Age is catching up and time is running out. Sorry for talking woolly but at this point in time I'm just lost. I don't know what should I be doing next or where should I be heading. Sometimes I think I'm chasing my own tail and going in circles. I know it's time to put a stop to this. I need to find directions. One year from today, I hope I don't find myself back to the same spot I was at the end of 2010.

You Might Also Like

1 comments

  1. aaww... i guess u could not accept the fact that this might be what u have to do for a long time until u find your new direction. this can be what you'll be doing "in the meantime" or "in a lifetime"...

    guess we're all trying to find some escape route to quietly slip away if possible isn't it? haha think we all need motivation at work. either try to develop interest in what ur doing (i know its damn hard)? or can start looking online n recruit section for jobs that interest u? hahaha all i can see is money for now. without all those, dreams can't be lived. new experiences/interest can't be discovered. nothing can be build. lol i think u know all these. hai... hw sad that we're such slaves isn't it? but i know that all those ur going thru are jus "in the meantime" for u. jiayou in finding your motivation and direction.

    HT

    ReplyDelete