Go Cairns

March 06, 2011

Cairns offers a wide range of outdoor activities but because we visited during monsoon season, we could only do the following activities below. It was raining and flooding for several consecutive days. We didn't even get to visit the beach. Bummer. Don't waste time waiting for the weather to clear cos it usually doesn't happen.

1) Balloon
I grew up associating a hot air balloon with the cartoon Around the World in 80 Days. It never occurred to me I would be able to see one or for that matter fly up into the sky in a basket for real one day.


Flights take off early in the morning before sunrise.


Do pay attention to the pilot as he explains how the hot air balloon works.


It was fun for awhile but the novelty wore off. If you ask me, 30 mins ride was just nice.

2) Snorkel
Remember the best job in the world? I once fantasize about being an island caretaker. Though it never came true, I found myself at the Great Barrier Reef two years later! 


All set and ready to go!
(He snapped this before the Quicksilver guy could stop him. Each photo costs A$22. Good dexterity ;)


My first snorkel was no mean feat. I can't swim and I had to snorkel in the ocean! The moment I was in the water, I panicked. Even with a life jacket and a noodle to hold onto, I still didn't feel safe. Half the time I had to cling onto my personal coach. It took me quite awhile to get used to the choppy waves.


The first time I put my head into the water it was magical. It's like peering into another world and watching everyone move around and beneath you in silence. Corals swaying and dancing, fishes banging on the corals and swimming around you. I tried to grab one and its friend head butted me! 


When we got up to the pontoon for lunch, I started to feel sick and dizzy. As everyone tucked in to the smorgasbord buffet lunch, I threw up. I could only have cheese and biscuits on the way back.


After lunch, we continued snorkeling and got stung by jellyfish again. Lycra suits (A$5-7/pc) didn't help much, but it's good protection from the powerful UV rays. Make sure you slap on plenty of sunscreen. There's a big hole in the ozone layer here.


At the end of the day his smile makes all the vomit and sea sickness worth it :)


Agincourt Reef was awesome~
(Tip: Do it with Poseidon, Quicksilver's too luxurious and pricey)


The colours and diversity are so amazing we went for another full day snorkel with Passions of Paradise at


Paradise Reef and Michaelmas Cay (a bird sanctuary). This time we saw gigantic clams with orange lights in them! I know it's not quite right to say this, but I wonder if the colourful fishes we saw are tasty?

We don't have any photos of the underwater world to share or keep so be sure to buy, rent or borrow an underwater camera before you go.

3) Bungy

Tired of living?


My first jump was done barefoot in the rain.

He went first. I watched him disappear and go oomph! followed by a faint Ahhh! While The Hackett crew bundled me up, I stared into space for awhile. I thought about my job. C'mon crazy lady, I need yer to take a few small steps forward. Some more. A little bit more. I inched my toes to the edge and looked at the horizon. I was cold and wet. No time to hesitate.


10s of free fall and 10s of twisting and spinning till I'm dizzy and nauseous...


Hope dangles on a string like slow spinning redemption


I look like I've lost a hand here :o


Fancy another go?


AJ Hackett believes every day you should do something that reminds you you're still alive. I couldn't agree more.

4) Self-drive
This was the real leap of faith. I ain't worried about jumping bcos I know I'll be safe with the harness and bungy cord. But driving on our own when we have no experience on the road? Hmm. We decided to give it a shot since traffic is light and it's quite easy to move around.


He drove most of the journey (2 hrs to and fro) while I was the safety checker and poor navigator.


It rained very heavily on the way back and we were trying to drive carefully while maintaining speed. A red car was tailgating and showed us the finger after passing us lol. Then, we took a wrong turn somewhere but got back on track quickly. We were so relieved after we got back to town and filled the petrol. Kudos to the driver!

5) Feeding Kangaroos
We spent our last day at Wildlife Habitat feeding the roos, ducks and wallabies. I had fun interacting with the animals in close proximity. Great for families with children!



When you return from Cairns, I'm sure you will be able to strike off a few items in your Bucket List. Reverb11's March Prompt was 'If March'11 was your last month to live, how would you live it?' I've already got half the answers here :)

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. haha say, aren't u a bit too young to have a Bucket List? hmm but life can be unpredictable thou. Up next, skydiving in New Zealand?

    -HT-

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha it's the movie you recommended me. i don't have one but sometimes thoughts like 'what should i do before i leave this world' cross my mind. we'll see :)

    ReplyDelete