Blind Help

September 02, 2012

It’s Friday.

I lazed in bed, as usual, for as long as I could before I got up for work. It started to rain. I grabbed an umbrella and walked to the train station. I reached the road and saw the blind man. I recognise him. I’ve seen him a few times in my neighbourhood. I just saw him yesterday afternoon on the train. Not long ago, I saw him trying to cross the road when I was making my way home from the train station at night. I remember I hesitated whether I should go up and help. In the end another passerby helped him across.

The blind man was trying to cross the road. Again. Faced with the same situation for the second time, I told myself I shall not hesitate this time. He was carrying an umbrella, his bag slung by his side and feeling his way around using his stick. It was obvious he had difficulty judging whether it was safe to cross. There were people around him and they were not sure whether to lend a helping hand, just like how I behaved previously. I stood next to him and once the road was clear, I guided him across quickly. He thanked me. At that point in time, I did not think of opening my big umbrella since it was just a short distance. Further, there wasn't room to carry my big umbrella and walk next to another person who is also carrying an umbrella. I realised I was walking too fast for someone who can’t see. Oops. When we got over to the other side of the road, there was still a short distance to the station. I followed behind him for awhile, just to make sure he gets into the shelter safely. Once we were in the shelter, he slowed down to keep his foldable umbrella. As his hands were quite full, I decided to help him keep his umbrella but he moved away and said “I’m ok, thank you.”

"Oh ok." I muttered and walked away. I was a little hurt I was rejected when I was just trying to help. I almost forgot to buy breakfast. While walking towards the bakery, I realised I was wet from the rain. On the train, I thought about the good deed I had done. They say it feels good to help others. However, all the good feeling disappeared after my help was rejected. Not everyone who needs help will ask for help. The blind man is not any less egoistic than a normal human being. Judging when to help the disabled is important. Giving unnecessary help may offend or hurt them.

做人难 做好人更难.

You Might Also Like

0 comments