Why We Love McDonalds in NZ

May 19, 2013


没有它会抓狂 有了它会疯狂!

Stayed with a Thai lady (a calculative one) from work for a month and her house did not have wifi. We didn't have any mobile data (can't remember why probably because 2degrees didn't have any attractive plans at that time) and the nearest legitimate use of wifi was McDonalds or the library in town. Library would have closed by the time we ended work so we could only go to McDonalds. We would walk about 25mins one way to McDonalds in the cold nights just to use wifi. Needed internet access not for leisure web surfing but to find our next job and accommodation. Back then he was using a half smart HTC Windows phone and I didn't have one and relied on my broken iPod. Sometimes he would carry his laptop (I couldn't take mine because I left my battery at home - worst decision ever) in case we run out of internet as each device has only up to 100mb. Me being me, I sneaked onto Facebook once and used up all the quota on his laptop and he was SO MAD at me. When desperate times call for illegitimate measures, we stood outside or sneaked into the hostels we previously stayed in with the unused internet vouchers we had saved up for rainy days. Those four weeks were inconvenient enough to make me remember that I have taken wifi for granted. On some nights where we didn't go out for wifi, we entertained ourselves by watching videos of our younger days or singing to the songs on his phone. After Motueka, we hardly visit the golden arches and when we did it was for the food and not internet anymore because we finally had mobile data and internet access in subsequent accommodations.

You Might Also Like

0 comments