Hanmer

October 02, 2013

I was really tired and checked if the weather can be a good excuse for me not to go out today. After struggling for 15 mins, I dragged myself out of bed and decided to challenge myself again. I know I fully enjoy the sense of freedom and empowerment when I walked out in the morning to take a bus to Kaiapoi. The 952 bus driver dropped me at Waikuku petrol station and in less than three mins I was picked up by David, a 37 year old truck driver originally from Wales. David is a cool and crazy guy who drives this 18m long trailer and gets paid $25/hr. He told me it's a truck thing for trucks passing each other to wave at each other. He bought me a drink, shared hitch hiking tips with me and sent me all the way to Hanmer Springs.




I arrived at Hanmer on a sunny Tuesday morning at 11am. It was pretty busy with many families heading for the natural hot springs. The view at the top of Conical Hill was unimpressive. During the walk down the hill, I met three Singaporeans and Kathy offered to give me a ride back to Christchurch!





Wandered around while waiting for the ladies to finish their thermal experience. Fell asleep on the way back and they stopped at Amberley for a drink. I was invited to Kathy's house at Belfast for dinner. That's Delphina showing me Kathy's gigantic cat Boots so named because it looks like it's wearing boots. Kathy kept me busy with cracking walnuts (I didn't manage to crack a single one though lol) while Delphina and Maisie prepared dinner. I did the dishes and they walked me out and waited 20mins at the bus stop with me.






A simple hello can lead to a million things. Thanks for making my trip back from Hanmer memorable.

You Might Also Like

0 comments