Revisiting Everyday Life in Singapore after 14 Months

April 22, 2014

Coming home after an extended period of time overseas is always an interesting experience when transiting back to home culture. After 14 months away from home, the first thing that struck me was how used I have been to the "Hi how are you?" greeting in New Zealand. When I realised the lady sitting beside me during the flight home is also from Singapore, the "hi how are you" reflex I have developed over time quickly disappeared. I realised how shy Singaporeans are. It took a smile from me, offering of candy from her and a "Are you going home?" from me to break the ice. For the next couple of hours I found out she is a customer of my previous company. Never stop saying hi as a simple hello could lead to a million things.




I was woken up by the sound of birds and decided to get up even though it was only 6am. Started clearing my letters and rubbish I've accumulated over the years. Went out to get breakfast at 8.30am. Took a good look around the neighbourhood. Playground has changed, some void deck walls are painted with new designs, McDonalds got refurbished and papa's garden has expanded. Today was the first time in my life I really looked carefully at what was selling in the wet market. I used to avoid passing through it because my toes would get wet. I was surprised to find so many interesting veges and stalls. Watching the hustle and bustle of the morning market felt incredible and uniquely Singaporean. I wandered around the coffee shops not sure what I would like to eat. Cheap and spoilt for choice!



One of the coffee shops that I often visit - most stalls are still around, selling the familiar food I grew up with


I eventually decided to get something from the kueh stall I always frequent and totally forgot chwee kueh comes in fours lol


My first visit to Jem - this new mall has brought more dining and shopping options closer to home


I always go back to Victor's Kitchen for yum cha


Some of the food that I miss - yong tau foo, mee sua, lor mee and chawamushi


Last Koi - big cup please

Last ice milo

You Might Also Like

0 comments