Maupuia Walkway to Centennial Reserve via Mt Crawford Prison

November 20, 2016

A day before my birthday, we did a short walk in Miramar. Rui said he brought my folks to Maupuia last year so I wanted to take a look too. There must be a few tracks in this area as the one we visited was not the same as the one they had been to. The Maupuia Walkway was formerly known as Old Prison Road as the track really leads to the the Mt Crawford Prison. It was a pleasant and easy walk along the hilltop with good views of the harbour and Shelly Bay.



I love reading the personal and sometimes emotional messages on commemorative seats and benches situated along the tracks.




I've heard a lot about the former Mt Crawford Prison (aka Wellington Prison) at work. My colleague is managing the site and there has been a lot of public, media and ministerial interests on its future use given its prime location. I was happy to finally have a look at it myself and being able to relate to the connection that I have with this land; the decision making process behind its management and use, always excites me and makes me feel that my job matters.


While living up on the hill commands a view, I can't stand driving and parking along steep and narrow roads. Too scary for me.


At last the weather was warm enough for us to be walking around in T shirts, but not shorts though.


Somehow we ended up at Centennial Reserve where there are two huge water tanks?


Watching the boats zipping around and the planes flying into Wellington.




Happy 30th birthday to moi!

You Might Also Like

0 comments