Yong Peng to Melaka

March 09, 2012


The second half of the tour was shopping at Johor Premium Outlet. I hate shopping so I left the group at 3pm. I had planned to sneak off and meet my donkey friend in Melaka. To my annoyance, tour guide announced my departure to everyone on the bus. He dropped me off at Yong Peng, a popular stopover point for inter-state coaches. I started trying every bus at Lucky Garden and Ming An, even those with signs that read Kuala Lumpur, Johor Bahru and Singapore, hoping they may stop at Melaka en route. None was going to Melaka. When I saw a Malacca Singapore Express bus turned into Lucky Garden, I chased after it but alas it was going the other direction to Singapore. My only hope dashed. I was stressing out, sweaty and tired from walking back and forth the two restaurants. A while later, another Malacca Singapore Express bus turned into Lucky Garden. I asked the driver in Chinese: Uncle, this bus got go Melaka? Go up quietly they check tickets here. 10 ringgit ok? Ok la. What time go? Eat finish go la. I scrambled up the bus quickly and grabbed a seat. The first thing I saw on the bus was the bus number MBH247 and the time was 4.35pm. I've waited at least 1.5 hours at Lucky Garden. Thankfully, luck was with me. It's been years since I travelled on my own. Freedom tastes so good. The 1.5 hours bus ride from Yong Peng to Melaka was particularly memorable to me as it was my first unofficial (unofficial cos it wasn't exactly a free ride) hitchhike attempt. Phew!

You Might Also Like

0 comments