2008 Recap

January 01, 2009

2008 is a short year for me as I was away for 4 months. Nevertheless, it's one of the most fulfilling year I ever had, despite all the sour, sweet, bitter and spicy.

SEP
Some say that SEP is a life changing experience. I wouldn't say it has changed my life in very significant ways but it has certainly broadened my horizons and made me want to see so much more. The experience I got can never be taught in lecture notes and textbooks. Living alone for 4 months has trained me to be brave and calm in the face of obstacles and problems. The Chinese way of life taught me to be tougher and nothing is not negotiable, especially price. Travelling alone can be boring but the amount of freedom and flexibility I get allowed me to take my own sweet time to capture the best shots/moments of the places I visited and sharpened my photography skills. I also learnt how to draft my own itinerary on my own which has brought me to places I never thought I would be able to visit - Chengdu, Hong Kong & Macau. This whole journey has been truly remarkable, despite all the highs and lows. I hope I will not forget the many lessons my SEP experience in Beijing has taught me and given a chance, I will still go for exchange again.




Internship
I was fortunate to be able to do internship (thanks to my sis) despite returning back late. It was good exposure as I learnt about managing corporate portfolios, database management systems, market fees, residential, office, retail and industrial rents in various cities across APAC. People were friendly, nice and easy to get along with (lest for one). I also had the chance to try out rollerblading for the first time. During the "holidays", I also experienced some problems fitting back in. The group of friends whom I felt comfortable and happy with became unfamiliar to me and I felt left out and out of place. I noticed many changes ever since I came back and I felt that things will not be the same again. I questioned this friendship and underwent (undue) emotional stress for a few weeks. Things turned out fine in the end and I couldn't be more glad. A blessing in disguise; for I realise that I do have friends who care.


School
I had too much time and wasted too much time. Slacked too much in Tsinghua and I realised I've lost the vigour and devotion to projects that I used to have. It was a torture having to drag myself up every Friday for morning classes. Amidst all the work everyone had to complete, there were lots of fun and laughter too. I was very lucky to win $250 Takashimaya vouchers (which I've still not use) for the International Exchange Day Photo Contest for the local interaction category. Ktv, bday celebrations, bugis excursion and most unforgettable of all, acting in our conflict & negotiation video which was extremely hilarious.


Holidays
It has been a rather quiet holiday. Everyone's busy or gone missing. Plans to work were abolished to spend time on dissertation. No work means no money so I couldn't go anywhere this holiday. That's the (abrupt) end of my 2008.

You Might Also Like

3 comments

  1. u took a pic of the card! :DDD

    ReplyDelete
  2. yeaa! wah u haven't been visiting this space for quite some time eh it's 3 weeks into 2009 already!

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahaha ya man
    i just realised i didn't save your blog in my fav folder! :O

    ReplyDelete