Mrs Heng

June 17, 2009

If not for my teacher, I would have been locked behind bars in Changi Prison and expelled from society forever. It was this teacher who guided me and brought me back to shore.

I was over-protected as a child and this has cultivated a stubborn and rebellious streak in me. In school, I tried to attract the attention of my schoolmates and teachers by doing everything against their wishes. I was despised and regarded as a problem kid.

All that I have done has something to do with my family background. As my parents are both busy working, they neglected me. They forgot about my birthdays and this disappointed me. They felt that material comforts could cure the loneliness in my heart and so they showered me with endless luxury. Even if my teacher called home or paid a visit to inform them about my poor conduct, they would just to their best to shield me. They trusted me and never interfered in my activities. This may seem attractive to adolescents but I really wished that they would spend more time trying to understand me and not put so much emphasis on their jobs.

However, this changed when I was in secondary school. I met Mrs Heng and she really had an impact on me. This teacher knew about my record but never discriminated against me. She paid extra attention and was strict towards me. Her care and love really touched me and was what I needed.

This teacher had a great influence on me as she never let me off for my offences. As I was pampered at home, I really needed someone to discipline me. I remembered that I tried to cheat in my exams by amending the answer after she had returned me the marked script. She was very sharp and realised it at once. She did not question me but just informed me that she will not disregard the marks I had obtained, but that would have to meet my parents.

I did not know what they discussed but after the meeting, my parents changed completely. They were convinced that money could not buy love and realised that all that I had done was out of desparation for their love. Since then, they have spent more time with me and paid more attention to me. I am very grateful to Mrs Heng for letting my parents know about my feelings.

Although I was punished for breaking the school rules, I learned a lesson more valuable than a chest of treasure. I finally understood that all my foolish actions were of no help. I ought to spend more time understanding my parents. Only through two-way communication can a bond be developed. Mrs Heng, thank you very much.

R. Ong, 14

You Might Also Like

0 comments