Pouakai Circuit Fail Again

December 25, 2015

Since we've never been to the top of the North Island, we decided to venture up to the Far North for the year end holidays. I wanted to have another go at the Pouakai Circuit again after an unsuccessful attempt last Easter so we went via New Plymouth.

Christmas Eve is a self-declared half day so I left office and met him in town for lunch. Took away a bowl of Meet Fresh on the way to our first campsite in Waverley. An unhappy start to this roadie as his phone ran out of battery after using it as GPS all the way to Waverley (3+ hours drive) and my phone decided to update itself just when we needed directions to get to the campsite. He was furious and not feeling well, lost his temper at me for not stepping up again. Even if I asked for directions the poor sense of direction me wouldn't understand! Disaster.

He went to sleep early while I sat in the car waiting for our devices to charge up. I didn't feel secure leaving them to charge in the kitchen overnight so I gave up waiting and went to sleep. No one was on site so we dropped our payment at the Council office the next morning. $10 per night is a pretty good deal considering there's even hot shower.


North Egmont Visitor Centre was closed on Christmas Day so we couldn't buy the hut tickets which means no secure beds. I decided to bring sleeping gear up and he was cross with me (again) for bringing so much for only a night's stay.


We could see the summit from below - looks like a good sign.


It was sunny when we started but turned dark and foggy along the way.



After 1.5 hours, we got to a point where we couldn't see what's ahead; there were no formed track or markers, just a mountain of rocks and boulders before us. It didn't feel right so we decided to turn back. No idea which was the way back down too.




This was as far as we went - I think it was the Boomerang Slip


Found our way to Tahurangi Lodge and got onto the summit track down.


Others were still pressing on to summit despite the deteriorating weather and it was getting late.


Tahurangi Lodge 到此一游


Finally reached the carpark and now got to think of where to sleep as we had no accommodation booked as we were supposed to be sleeping at Holly or Pouakai Hut.


Managed to secure a spot at Waitara Beach. Changed attire for self photo shoot. He was mad at me again for fiddling around. How will photos turn out nice if you are angry?



Merry Christmas from Waitara Beach!

You Might Also Like

0 comments