Residential Areas in Wudaokou

March 11, 2008

I was required to do a presentation for my urban planning and transportation system module. We were allowed to choose any topic covered in class based on our own interest. We can also choose to do in groups or alone. I decided on Comparison between Beijing & Singapore's Neighbourhood Precincts and the professor replied with "Very good topics!" I was just planning to make use of last semester's planning tutorial presentation (which has been recycled twice already) actually. More like very good 废物利用.


I wandered around Wudaokou (the area near where I stay) rather aimlessly as I totally had no idea where the residential areas are. This path is supposed to be for pedestrians. But it has been overruled by the automobile.


I finally chanced upon some flats and decided to use this place (东升园公寓) as my area of study. There are 12 units in each flat. How I know? Count the mailboxes! Ain't I smart? Ha!


Schools are within walking distance. This is 中关村第二小学. There are 2 other nurseries nearby, all within walking distance.


Just when I was about to feel a little impressed they do place bins around the neighbourhood, a woman had to fling a banana skin in front of me, missed the bin and walked away.


Unlike Spore's HDB which are managed by the town councils, apartments here are managed by private developers. I looked at the noticeboard and suddenly realized this was not the usual green noticeboard with Sunshine Residents RC activities and events I would sneer at every time I wait for the lift at my block.


Every precinct has a bomb shelter and


a mini-mart equivalent (社区服务) selling grocery, telephone card, etc.

Emphasis and priority is given to elderly. Public spaces are dedicated to the elderly with fitness stations.

Hmm, think the children don't have playgrounds so they get bored and go mess up people's stuff.

I decided to be brave and walked up this unit to see how it's like inside.

It was dark and narrow.

See the air-con advertisement? They just chop on the wall. Cool.

See the baby got no playground to play.

Barrier-free accessibility. Add 1 star!

Don't recall seeing anyone inside

End of excursion. Time to go supermarket. I so miss HDB flats in Singapore!!

You Might Also Like

0 comments