Tale of Despereaux

April 17, 2009

To reward myself after the submission of the last assignment in my life (most probably), I decided to watch Despereaux on Tudou. It's called 浪漫鼠德佩罗 by the way. I've been wanting to watch it ever since it was released last year but I haven't got the time.

It's a great show for kids as it teaches values such as courage, kindness and forgiveness through a fantasy story. I felt rather intrigued with some parts of the show. Looking at how the Mouse World functions makes me think of our own society. Every society has its own norms and culture. But who sets these rules? Who determines how we should behave? Society? People around us? Or ourselves? Why should a mouse cower, scurry and be afraid? Why should we conform?

In order for society to function, there are laws to govern how we should behave. When Despereaux's father said to his wife that they should let the Council deal with Despereaux's behaviour, he could not give a reason. "They're the Council...because they're the Council." Similarly, is the judge or court always right? Who gives them the authority? Who determines what's right and what's wrong?

When Despereaux was tied up and lowered into the dungeon, Hovis, the Threadmaster (the rat without pupils in his eyes) said "Wear it proudly...There's no shame." When I heard that, I kinda felt like he was trying to tell me "It's ok to be deviant, there is nothing to be ashamed of." So if people ever say you're weird (like what Despereaux's classmates said to him), you should laugh back at them, because they don't have the courage to deviate from the norm.

You Might Also Like

0 comments