My Sokcho Serendipity

November 17, 2010


Packed our bags and off we go to Sokcho!


The House Hostel is run by Yoo with the help of his umma. Good location, good price (double bed 15,000W/person), free internet and free bicycles. The place is nicely decorated with a cosy ambience. Highly recommended :)


While waiting for our room to be ready, Yoo started scribbling on our map, explaining in great detail the places of interest and good food in Sokcho. He must have done the introduction a million times. I was overwhelmed with the amount of information suddenly presented to me but still impressed with his level of service.


Lunch was soondae (10,000W), a local delicacy wrapped with squid and stuffed with glass noodles, rice, mixed vegetables, fried over a layer of egg. One plate is enough for two. Not bad quite tasty.


After filling our stomachs, we took a scenic ride around Cheongchoho Lake.


That's the route we took. On the day itself, I wasn't even looking at the map and I had no idea what to expect along the way.


Our starting point was on the opposite side of Cheonghodaegyo Bridge where the boarding point for the Gaetbae Boat was.


If you watched Autumn in My Heart, this may look strangely familiar. It was touristy but we had to take it anyway bcos it's the only way across the lake from the bottom of the bridge.


Cheongchoho is a lagoon that is connected to the East Sea.


Seagulls hovered in the air as fishes caught from the sea were packed in trays, ready to be transported to the local fish market for sale.


Good catch


The lake is also a sanctuary for migratory birds.


Daisies along the shore


I was feeling quite upset over a long scratch on my bag, damaged while trying to balance my camera on the bicycle.


I stopped bawling when I suddenly realised these birds standing still, surrounded by the calm waters.


Towards the end of the trail there were more of their friends.


They were just standing (or dozing off) on the coast quietly. It was peaceful and beautiful.


And I got all the lalang I wanted in the setting sun :)


Expo Tower


Expo Park


We got on the swing and video-recorded our thoughts on our journey thus far. It was liberating and I was reminded of my carefree days.


Yacht Marina


We passed by a fun fair but the rides have not started


except for this disco ride. We watched these youngsters clinging on for dear life as the operator slowed down the ride and tricked them into thinking it was ending and suddenly jerk and spin it again. Quite entertaining.


We stopped over at E-Mart to buy some food for tomorrow's climb up Mt Seoraksan.


Dinner was Korean fast food at E-Mart's food court. Lots of MSG. Not recommended. It was getting cold and I wanted to drink hot chocolate but I ordered cafe latte instead. Sian.


This was taken on Cheonghodaegyo Bridge before we zoomed down only to find ourselves at a dead end. We crossed the lake, cycled some more and called it a day after getting to the bottom of the lighthouse. Overall, it was an enjoyable ride and Sokcho definitely exceeded my expectations.

You Might Also Like

0 comments