Pelling to Siliguri via Melli: Lesson Learnt

November 27, 2011

I was trying my best to stay still but it was no use. We were hurled around at the back of the jeep with nothing to hold onto. We could not even hold onto each other as our vomits were already in our throats and we were going to throw up any time. All the shaking was making me dizzy and I had to shut my eyes.

After what seemed like 45 mins, the jeep pulled up at a petrol kiosk. He trailed off to the bushes to attempt  to puke. I was still recovering from the awful ride when the driver approached me. "We put you in another jeep ok? You can sit in front." I couldn't believe what I just heard. I was suspicious with his 360 degree change in attitude after our confrontation with him before the journey started.

Sure enough another jeep came. It was relatively empty. There were only four passengers sitting in the first and second row. First driver explained the situation to the second driver and passed him some money. Our bags were transferred to the new jeep. Driver of the new jeep told two passengers sitting in the middle row to move to the back. We scrambled in, feeling apologetic, at the same time thankful and relieved.

"How are you? Better?" An Indian gentleman sitting in front turned around and asked.

"Much better. We were thrown around in a washing machine at the back of the jeep." I complained.

Laksmi gasped and narrated our predicament to the driver sitting beside him, quoting my "washing machine".

"Our seat numbers were 7 and 8. Supposed to be middle row." I explained. "We bought this ticket from a Nepalese chap with blue eyes from Let's Go. When the jeep came, it was full. We had to sit right at the back on a bench with no back support. It was not even facing forwards. We showed our ticket to the driver but he ignored us. We even tried to look for the chap who sold us the ticket but he wasn't around. When we refused to get back in, the driver called us names we couldn't understand. He mentioned "China", obviously he thought we were from China and we were not. We had a row with him. Everyone in the jeep was looking point-blankly at us, as though we were transparent. Nobody helped."

I guess we were destined to meet our foes. The pack in the jeep were the group of West Bengal tourists we met yesterday! It suddenly dawned on me that Khecheopalri  is really a sacred lake. They were late first and we took revenge by making them wait for an hour at the lake. The next day, a Hindu god up there decided to punish us by tossing us around at the back of the jeep. What goes around comes around. This was the day I truly believe karma exists.

You Might Also Like

0 comments