Yogi Lodge: A Text Message

November 30, 2011


*Udar met Ying at Yogi few years ago. It was low season and there weren't many guests in the lodge. Ying came with a friend and she was not feeling well. Udar helped take care of her and cooked fried rice for her. When it was time for her to go back to China, she promised she'll visit again. A year later, Ying returned as promised and they went to Nepal together. Udar showed us their Kathmandu photos enthusiastically. He must have looked through the album a million times as he could remember what's the next photo. They parted again and remained in contact via text messages and phone calls. Until recently...

"She told me she is in hospital. But she don't say what happen. I'm very worried. I cannot sleep. I cannot focus at work. When she finally pick up my call she doesn't sound like she is in hospital. Why she lie to me? I will continue message and message until she respond. But most of the time she only reply one word after I send 100 messages. I sent so many these few days, no reply. I just called this morning, phone turned off. I going crazy! I really don't know what she wants. If she doesn't want to continue anymore, why don't she just tell me?" Udar was distraught.

"Are you sure?" I looked at Udar carefully.

He sighed. "Ok don't say that. Just ask her what she wants."

I transferred Udar's SIM card into my phone and we started translating to Chinese.

你怎么了? 怎么关机这么久? 我发了这么多简讯怎么你一点回应都没有? 我非常珍惜我们之间的感情但是你总是不理不睬 我知道你很爱你父亲和家人 那我呢? 你到底还爱我吗?

Arranged marriages are still common in India but Udar is taking romance in his own hands. We have no idea how his relationship with Ying turned out to be and we wished him all the best before we left. For the small favour we did, we got a free boat ride, two chocolate bars, free wifi and huge discount for staying at Yogi ;)

*To protect the identity of the employee, his real name was not used.

You Might Also Like

0 comments