A Lovely Day in Lyttleton: Bridle Path

June 29, 2013

One of the top things I regretted not doing enough when I lived in China was making the effort to go out more when I didn't have classes. Sleeping in on my day off work was super tempting but I managed to resist the idea, dragged myself out of bed at 8am this morning and caught the 9.24am bus 28 to Lyttleton, a port town south of Christchurch.


First of all I'll need to get a map to figure out how to get onto the Bridle Path.


I was done with the Farmers Market in less than 30 mins because there were not much free tastings lol


I have poor navigation skills so I was quite pleased with myself when I managed to locate the track hehe. I enjoyed the hike up. Level of steepness was just nice and there were lovely views at the top.


Lyttleton Harbour


Sugar icing on the hills


They passed this way


I sat down on a bench with the name Jane Deans and looked out at the Heathcote Valley. I was pleasantly surprised to learn about the history of this trail.


Early settlers used the Bridle Path to get from Lyttleton to Christchurch on foot.


As I made my way down, I watched three gliders flying down and it was amazing. I can totally imagine the feeling of flying in the sky having done the same not too long ago. 


One of the few remaining monuments built by the settlers


Biking uphill looks really tedious to me


Didn't realise there was a gondola going up to the Port Hills


Reached the carpark at 12.44pm and caught the 12.53pm bus. Since it was early and he's about to knock off I was thinking of dropping by his accommodation since it was on the way. He suggested meeting at Central Station and we walked around Restart Mall.


Following the 2011 earthquake, the container mall was introduced to breathe new life into the central city and encourage people back to the CBD.


Clever and innovative use of containers - cafes, shops and even ATMs!


A backpacker from Taiwan collected smiles from all over the country for the people of Christchurch.


Words of encouragement before we parted ways and went back to our own accommodation.

You Might Also Like

0 comments