冬天的Akaroa

June 30, 2013

The plan today was to visit Akaroa, a popular historic town on Banks Peninsula 1.5 hours drive from Christchurch. I got up at 7 am, made my way to Halswell by bus, alighted at Glovers Road and walked out to the main road to wait for my first ride. 5-10 mins later Tim stopped and picked me up. He was on his way to work (excavation) and dropped me off at the intersection of Ahuriri Road and SH75. Though it was only a 15 mins ride, it was a good start and I was happy I had made some progress.


The Southern Alps from Halswell on a clear day.


In less than 5 mins Craig picked me up at 9.38am and drove me all the way to Akaroa. He was on his way to deliver car batteries. He lives in Kaiapoi and recommended me to check out Glentui.


I reached Akaroa at 10.30am on a beautiful Monday morning. It was very quiet in town not much happening.


Shortly after the French arrived in Akaroa, the British signed the Treaty of Waitangi officially declaring New Zealand a British colony. Today the Union Jack and French flags can still be seen flying in Akaroa.


The war memorial was owned by a community trust and depended on donations to get it repaired following the Christchurch earthquake.


Walked along Beach Road to the relocated lighthouse


View from Britomart Monument


There was a fallen tree blocking the path and I dirtied my bag while going under.


Tui tree


Whimsical Waeckerle Cottage


Last glimpse of Akaroa. There was not much traffic in town I thought I stand a better chance of getting a ride back if I walk towards the main road.


Decided to drop by Barry Bay Cheese and managed to hitch a ride from Mike. He lives in Oakins Bay and went out of his way to drop me at Barry Bay. I felt a little uneasy when he kept staring at me. I was relieved to get off his smelly car.


Walked around the shop and tasted four types of cheese. No production going on in winter. I couldn't get any ride outside the cheese factory so I walked along SH75 while sticking out my sign.


If only someone would stop...


I passed a team of tree cutters controlling traffic and managing safety. One of them yelled up "Wait! There's a pedestrian!" The guy high up on the tree shouted "Where??" I waved and shouted back "Here! Be careful!" After I passed a huge branch fell off.


I continued to walk and finally a red car stopped. It looked new and was very clean and tidy inside. Conway, a property advisor from Plunket is on a business trip to discuss setting up a school in Barry Bay. He's on his way to Christchurch airport to fly back to Wellington. He told me he's been to Singapore a few times and proudly said he has tried durian. I could have made it straight back to Christchurch on this ride but I was really interested to check out the views which I remember passing by in the morning when Craig drove past so I asked to get off at Hilltop.


The view from Hilltop was absolutely stunning overlooking rolling hills and the Banks Peninsula.


I couldn't get any ride at Hilltop so I walked up (the hill) for some distance. The wind was blowing and my hands were cold. Finally a car stopped and they were Natalie and Abbey from Brisbane and Sunny Coast. They are music teachers on holiday in NZ. I was super lucky as they were also staying along Papanui Road!

Relieved to have made it back to Christchurch, I took the bus to Northlands mall and bumped into RS when I got on! Updated each other on how our day went. He did grocery shopping with me for less than an hour and we parted ways. So pleased with myself that I managed to go to all the places I wanted to visit today - Akaroa return in five rides :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments