Working in Christchurch

June 27, 2013

The next four months in Christchurch we were preoccupied with juggling multiple part time jobs and coping on our own when we lived apart for a month.

I got a job as a sales assistant in Northlands mall which was super handy just 5 mins walk from where I stayed. I applied for the opening on Seek and was called up to try out for a few hours (paid work in cash) at the kiosk. Lily is from China she buys her goods in bulk over there, they are mostly animal hats, scarves, accessories and gifts. I run the kiosk alone for 8-9 hours a day 6 days a week. Sometimes I don't even get a day off when Lily is short-handed it got to a point I couldn't even rest when I was sick and had to be firm and say no to her last minute requests.


Coincidentally he got a job at The Palms (Lily has a shop there too and sometimes I am asked to work there) and he was working just diagonally opposite me! He would bring me free food and drinks from time to time and visit me at my shop during his break. He even sold a big flower cushion which was one of the more expensive items in the shop! This job was a huge boost to my travel fund but the most boring ever it drove me bonkers. It's not a busy business and Lily forbids her staff to read or use their phone even when there is really nothing to do. My only friend at work was the mannequin I change her into a different colour poncho every morning lol. 


I had a short stint with Thai Po Thong for about 4-5 weeks as a wait staff. It was again just 5 mins walk from Proctor St (damn lucky me) and I get 2-3 shifts a week, each shift about 2.5-4 hours. I'm allowed to have a free meal there which is awesome because I don't have to cook my own meals in the small kitchen shared with 6-7 other people. This was my first time waiting tables and I dreaded it in the beginning because I was paired with an unhelpful waiter. Chub doesn't communicate with me and I can't understand his poor English at times. It's frustrating to work with someone who has more experience and puts you down in front of the boss. I was so relieved when Chub left and I got to work with Bank and Laura both students 18-19 years old. They had way more waiting experience than me despite their age. I didn't break anything (I keep telling myself I must hold onto the plates no matter how hot they are) and only spilled a glass of white wine so overall I feel I didn't do too badly considering my limited experience haha.


Shortly after I started at TPT, I was selected to participate in a research study by IRD and INZ. I had applied for this on backpackboard.co.nz. It was just a one-off interview session; the purpose is to find out and understand the experiences of new migrants in NZ. I was asked about how I set up myself in NZ, how did I find the process of applying for a visa, IRD number, bank account, phone number, etc. The session brought back memories of the anxiety and stress when I first came, everything was foreign and new. I shared about my journey, frustrations calling IRD, thoughts about the improvements/suggestions they are working on and what others had been through. I received a $75 gift card at the end of 1hr10mins of talking. It's a visa card loaded with money!


RS went back to Singapore to serve his notice period and I replaced his position at Gloria Jeans working as a cafe assistant. The job involves taking orders, serving food and drinks, making cold drinks, washing dishes, clearing tables, opening and closing the shop. I would make myself a cup of creamy hot chocolate and a grilled cheese toast before the start of the day. Towards the end, Arthur taught me how to make coffee and latte art. That was both challenging and fun. I never drink any coffee because I found it bitter but after understanding how coffee is made, I realised it is possible to customise the drink to one's taste and discovered my love for coffee ever since.


I doubt I will ever work in retail again unless I have no choice - very long hours and only one off day no time and energy left for play~! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments