T97

June 20, 2008

Boris Austin, British. Freelance photographer. Chinese nickname 包子. Came with the least possessions. Small haversack, Mac laptop, camera and a big book containing his photos which he passed around to show us. I asked him how to take a good photograph and he said it's about timing and capturing the moment. He shared with us that he don't like to use digital camera anymore. Nowadays people just snap without thinking. He showed us his camera. Antique model from Germany, manual mode. It runs on film (he bought tons of Fujifilm) and you take a picture by looking down into the camera hole. He took 2 pictures of me and he said I could email him and he'll send to me. I did email him but he didn't send me anything :(

Mrs Chinese Canada, mainland Chinese holding a Canadian passport. Husband works in Canada. Actively learning English on her own. She brought a '1000 most commonly used idioms' book, reading it most of the time. She used to work as a cashier in a supermarket in Canada. She was able to converse quite fluently in English with Boris. She told me she likes to take long rides bcos it allows her to rest.

Romain Abeck, from Geneva Switzerland. Chinese name 司马靖. Currently working in Beijing Chaoyang District. He likes to travel alone. I told him Singapore looks up to Switzerland bcos it is a prosperous and harmonious country. The ringtone on his handphone is 阿里山的姑娘, an old Chinese classic song, which Mdm Sports Referee commented it's very rare as young people don't listen to such songs anymore.

Mdm Sports Referee, mainland Chinese. She came with a huge old-fashioned suitcase. Hilarious person. She fished out a multi-cable adaptor when she saw a power point, announcing "好东西和大家分享! 看我多英明!" (Good things must share. Ain't I brilliant?) She told me she had been to Tsinghua to catch frogs.

Mr Aerospace, mainland Chinese. Graduated from Wuhan University majoring in aerospace. He works at Shenzhen and has been to and fro Hong Kong umpteen times. He introduced me the places I could go in Hong Kong.

Yes, I'm on my way to Hong Kong. I spent 24 hrs with these 5 people on the train to HK. Best train ride ever. Very comfortable and nice people.

You Might Also Like

0 comments