A Leap of Faith to Freedom

February 13, 2013

On the last day of 2012, I chopped off my tresses to start the new year.


I drew a decent salary and had amiable colleagues. I could easily stay on this job forever but is this really what I want to spend the rest of my life doing? The signs were showing. I had no life after workI was losing my dreams. I grew weary of replying appeals (postman), listening to grievances (aunt agony), being scolded for national policies beyond my control (punching bag) and fighting fire (fireman). I didn't know where all this was leading to.


One fine day in the beginning of 2012, we came across an article from The Huffington Post shared by many Facebook users. We were inspired. It spurred us to apply for a working holiday we've been contemplating for a long time. We managed to convince ourselves and each other the time is now or never. At least we have no huge financial or family commitments. Our visas were approved within a few days and we could leave any time. But we didn't. The thought of losing my job was really terrifying. What if I can't find a job over there? What if I can't find a job with a comparable pay after I come back? I still need to support my family's living. How can I be so selfish?


So I continued to stay on the safe path. The good thing is our visas have a validity period. When there is a time limit, we are forced to think carefully and make a decision. I tried to put my misgivings about leaving my family and apprehensions about my future aside and rationalised. I still have siblings and some savings to keep the family going. If I really can't find work over there, I can come back, look for a new job and join the rat race again. Of course at the end of the day we can chicken out, forfeit about S$150 application fee each and give up this once in a lifetime opportunity. To us, that was out of the question. And so we took the leap of faith.


After 3.5 years, I left the Corporation. Frankly, I have sleepless nights after quitting my job. It's that uncertain and frightening feeling of walking into a small and dark alley while everybody else is moving along the main road. My father opined that I'm making a mistake and wasting my time. Why work as cheap labour when you should be building your career and settling down? He chided. It can be quite demoralising. I know he means well and we just have different perspectives about life. My friends were generally supportive. Some of them asked me how did I manage to quit my job just like that to do such a crazy thing? I suppose if you are certain about what you want, all you need is courage to go after it.


I am going to lead a poorer but hopefully happier life for awhile. I do not know how long I will be away or when I will be back. I thought about the wish I wrote on the lantern in Pingxi and can't help smiling to myself. I'm on my way to making my dream come true.

You Might Also Like

1 comments