Chengdu to Kunming

May 13, 2009

We had planned to stay in Chengdu for another 4 days for the one year anniversary of the 512 earthquake and the trip to Mt Gongga Hailuogou Glacier Park (贡嘎山海螺沟). However, I received a text msg from my younger sis yesterday saying there was a H1N1 case in Chengdu and my father wanted us to leave Chengdu asap. We checked the news on tv and it was the first reported confirmed case in China. I was worried the virus would result in an outbreak given China's poor hygiene standards. After much deliberation, we decided to evacuate.

Chengdu Railway Station

Off to Kunming!

Fifth time on the train but first time on the K-series train


K-series train is lousier than T-series which has nicer interior, cooler air-con and stricter rules. Even though the announcement said no smoking, people were smoking freely on the seats along the aisle and on their beds.

Train attendant (检票员) changing tickets
After visiting horrendous toilets in Shangrila, this toilet is considered clean. Just hold your breath, do your business and get out quickly. It gets dirtier with some shit here and there but it's ok after the train attendant cleans it at dono what time of the day. All the shit goes right through the hole onto the tracks. The farmers and workers could probably see urine and shit flying onto the railway tracks. Good fertilizers for their crops.


I marvel at how the train moves through the mountains and rivers. Sometimes we're high up on the mountain looking down at a river or farmlands, sometimes we're in a tunnel or crossing a bridge, sometimes it's back to ground level. We were tired of the monotonous agriculture/farming sceneries after looking out of the window for several hrs.

This toddler came along and we got entertained for awhile haha
Lunch was in Chengdu near the railway station-Plain rice, spicy chicken dice with cucumber and peanuts (宫爆鸡丁) and soup. All I could remember about the lunch was the waitress nails were black and it touched the surface of our soup when she brought it to our table :S

Dinner was 康师傅方便面 (cup noodles)-红烧牛肉面 (beef) for me and 香菇吨鸡面 (mushroom chicken) for him. Most people bring their own food onto the train bcos the food they sell looks unappealing and expensive, unlike Taiwan and Japan's 火车便当.


Some pointers to choose your bed
Bottom bed is most expensive, has the most space, table by the side is yours, but least privacy bcos people will sit on your bed.

Top bed is the cheapest (cheaper by a bit) but has the least space. It's difficult to sleep in the day bcos the lamp is just on top and the tv is noisy. In a way it's safer bcos it's harder for people to steal when your belongings are so high up.

Middle bed is a compromise of bottom and top beds. I prefer the middle bed (248 yuan for this ride) cos it's not too crammed and people can't sit on my bed. He chose the top bed (240 yuan) bcos he didn't mind having lesser space for more privacy.

I was woken up in the middle of the night and saw the train attendant changing tickets for people at our section who were getting off. I thought I'm supposed to give her my tag too so the sleepyheaded me dug into my bag for the tag and stretched out my hand to give it to her. It was quite dumb bcos no one hew me. So I dozed off again as the train moved on. When I opened my eyes again, I saw him sleeping on the middle bed opposite me. He got caught by the train attendant ("这不是你的床! 快回去!") in the middle of the night haa. How did we spend the 18 hrs 55 mins? Talk, stone, eat, play games, listen music, eat, sleep, and the next morning we're in Kunming!

You Might Also Like

2 comments

  1. i really enjoyed the train rides but 18 hours on the train is crazy man... how many trains did u all take in total? got count ma?

    ReplyDelete
  2. 2 only. i think u took many times till u lost count huh

    ReplyDelete