Oh, Meili.

May 26, 2009


After a longer than expected journey up to Feilaisi, we've finally come to the last destination of the entire trip. Big sigh from me, I'm running outta steam trying to post all of these. Anyway, the previous few photos you see were painstakingly taken by me as I forced myself to get out of the vehicle while trying to avoid shitting in my pants for 10 hours cos I don't want to miss out on anything after travelling miles to come to Mount Meili.

The only hotel we stayed in throughout our trip. It's a 3-star hotel (all hotels in Feilaisi are 3-star) recommended by the waitress we met in Lijiang who worked here last time. Too luxurious for me though, I don't need the carpet, chairs, dressing table and bathtub but we decided to spend the money to have a comfortable stay after a long journey here. Same price (160 yuan) as Sim's Cosy but service was a far cry from the latter. Double room can go as low as 130 yuan. So bargain!

We almost got a free night's stay in this room cos no one asked us to pay. I had wanted to take off quickly while rs was feeling bad about it when we were caught by the female owner who shouted "Have you guys paid the rent???!" from the window at the second floor lol.


If I'm ever coming back again, I would stay here.

We dragged ourselves out of bed at 5.30am to catch the sunrise that's described as 日照金山 meaning at sunrise, the mountains turn gold.

So damn cold in the morning I just want to take cover


No one has conquered the Kagebo Peak before. Some Japanese climbers have died on their quest to surmount this sacred mountain. I've heard that one will be able to see Meili if Japanese people come up here. The view in this photo (not taken by me of course) was what everybody was waiting and hoping to see...


Alas, it was not to be. If you plan to come up here, pray hard for good weather and clear skies.

After a disappointing early morning, the pack got onto the vehicle and headed to Mingyong, where there's a massive glacier at the foot of Kagebo Peak. During the 1.5hrs, the Hongkie (someone in the pack, who has visited this place umpteen times he knows the people in the village) kept complaining about the driver (who also runs a guest house in Yubeng) blasting music in the guest house and disturbing the peacefulness of the village. Quite hilarious listening to their conversation when half the time, I couldn't understand the driver's broken Chinese but the Hongkie does and just keep firing at him.


Risk is the best


Mingyong Glacier is fast retreating due to climate change. All that ice below comes from the melted snow from Kagebo. It's a tough climb up...took us 4 hours to go round and round the mountain along horse shit trails. All that shit has produced very pretty flowers that I've never seen before. Look at that silly animal on the bottom right hand corner chewing on a plastic bag! Haa!


Intrigued by the formation of blue ice

Yan Yan, Ling Long, Me & Jia Bao

You may be wondering, where's the food section? We didn't eat any real, solid food. Hmm except for the two oily fried eggs from the hotel that cost a freaking 6 yuan. Otherwise, it was junk all the way for 3 consecutive days. Cup noodles, chips, chocolates, pasteries and whatever we had brought up here. I had enough of food poisoning attacks!

You Might Also Like

0 comments