Good People of Shangrila

May 22, 2009

It was my turn to throw up. As long as I can remember, I've only puked once in my life and that was donkey years ago. I'll never forget the kind old granny who asked if I was alright and the scene of me vommitting brown liquid into a drain 50m away from the hostel we're staying at while a row of old people behind me looked at me gag till there was nothing left in my stomach. Where else could two sick people go other than the hospital?

The only good thing that happened to us today was we ran into a good hostel. We didn't plan to stay here in the first place bcos our intended hostel was full. Tavern is run by Xiao Chen from Fujian and he does everything by himself. From cleaning, washing to admin matters and attending to guests. He was really nice and helpful. Bless him.

When he saw us trudging back, me pale face and half dead, he helped us call for a cab to the hospital immediately. The hospital is quite a distance away and we weren't able to walk that far when we're feeling like jelly. It's not easy to get a cab in the old town as vehicles are not allowed in here. He called a number of drivers but they weren't available. Yan Zi, owner of the hostel next door happened to be visiting and she helped call too. In the end, Xiao Chen got one of his friends to take us to the hospital and it was FOC.

Before I threw up, we had ordered sandwich and mushroom soup at a cafe but my stomach was doing somersaults and protesting so badly I couldn't even open my eyes and sit straight. I couldn't eat anything at all and poor rs had to ask the cafe to packet the sandwich for us when it just arrived at our table 5 mins ago.

This was the only thing I ate. Porridge with pickled vegetables. Xiao Chen cooked a huge pot of porridge for us and brought it to our room. Even though it was just plain porridge, it tasted good at that point in time when I had not eaten anything for the whole day and had no appetite for anything else. For all the help and assistance he had given to us, Tavern is definitely highly recommended bcos the boss went the extra mile to take care of us and make our stay here comfortable.

The next day, we met the old granny who saw me puke at the drain. She recognised me and asked me if I was feeling better. These are the kind-hearted people we met on our first day in Shangrila.

You Might Also Like

0 comments