后箭扣之28岁的好汉

August 04, 2012

RS often ridicules that no one will believe he has been to Beijing. He not only missed China's national dish, he didn't even visit the Great Wall! My bad. I was such a lousy host back then. So the next thing we did in Beijing was to charge to the Great Wall!


So many sections which to choose? I decided on Jiankou located in Huairou district 73km north of Beijing.


I visited Badaling and Juyongguan several years ago but it was only at collapsing Jiankou I really start to take in the majesty of the Great Wall.


I enjoyed climbing on the ruins but not these creepy-crawlies!


Most of the walk involves crashing through thick vegetation. That's me disappearing into the bushes as crickets buzzed and creaked.


再也没有遗憾的好汉!


He didn't want to continue anymore and since there wasn't enough time to visit the dangerous stairs and main watch towers, we made our way down...(disappointed)


Last glimpse of the steep and jagged mountains~


We stretched our sore limbs while watching the Olympics at Zhao's. I was about to fall asleep (the tv had no sound) when we heard sounds of gun shots. I pulled open the curtains to see what's going on and BANG! a huge firework exploded right in front of my eyes! I thought I was gonna be shot dead man. That was the best and biggest firework display I have ever seen!
Admission fee: Unlike other sections of the Great Wall in Beijing, there is no admission fee to Jiankou (hooray!) but there is 20 yuan pp entrance fee to Xizhazi village. It is possible to climb Jiankou without entering the village. We have seen locals entering the site via a hidden "carpark" for their evening exercises.
Transport: It is possible to get to Jiankou by public transport from Beijing. From Huairou to Jiankou, there is a public bus which runs twice daily from Yujiayuan (near Huairou bus terminal) to Xizhazi but the timings were not favourable as we were pressed for time so we took private transport. The market rate was around 200 yuan return. No drivers agreed on 100 yuan for one way trip because they need to spend on petrol to return to Huairou. We bargained hard from 200 to 120 yuan for a one way trip. I promised the driver I will post his contact number here if you need a ride try calling Mr Zhao (not related to Zhao homestay) 13241506000. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments