Takhi!

August 17, 2012

It was time to head back to the capital. I asked around for transport at the carpark while he went to the park office to pay for our tent space. There were only a few vehicles and our chances looked grim. I was loitering around when a foreigner approached me. 

"Where are you going?" Carlo had curly hair and wore tinted glasses.
"UB. You?" 
"We are going to UB in the afternoon." 
"Can we hitch a ride?" 
"Sure. But you have to wait. We are going in to have a look. Have you seen the horses?"
I shook my head. "We tried to yesterday but didn't see any." 
"You can come with us if you want." He offered.
"REALLY?" My eyes lit up and I couldn't believe what I was hearing. I ran to the park office to tell him the good news.


On our first sighting, we saw about eight takhis but they were too far away.


Carlo with his powerful camera


As the vehicle moved deeper into the park, we spotted another pack on top of the hills.


We followed Carlo's friends up the steep hills. I was struggling to keep up as it was windy and cold.


It was magical as we watched them quietly from a distance. Takhis are more cautious and afraid of human beings than domestic horses. One will keep an eye on us while the rest feed. If we move too close, they will move further away.


I only realised we've climbed so far up when it was time to go back down.


Thank you Carlo and friends!


On the way back to UB, the vehicle made an ovoo stop. Carlo's friends got out and we took the opportunity to thank Carlo again. "I like to help young people. You two remind me of my son and daughter." He said and gave me a peck on the cheek.


Celebrated our return to civilisation at Marco Polo (~MNT 19,200 pp)

You Might Also Like

0 comments