Orkhon Khurkhree: Tent or Ger?

August 12, 2012

Kharkhorin to Orkhon Khurkhree took approximately five hours on flat but rocky terrain. Our vehicle got stuck at one point and the three seasoned French travellers got out swiftly to push it while I watched by the side feeling like a useless bum. When we finally reached our destination, there was no sight or sound of waterfall.


On the way to Orkhon Khurkhree


Segmented waterfall


Looks like the earth had a big crack eh?


Why must wash hands?


This way down

Getting to the bottom of the waterfall involves climbing on all fours for approximately 20m (that's the height of OK). On our way back up, we met this family with two seniors and two children making their way down and we gave the father a hand to carry the girls down the rocks.


A group of tourists formed a circle and started singing


Dark clouds rolling in

Weather was not looking good when we had just laid out our ground sheet. The rain was coming any time. He looked at me, waiting for me to make a decision. Do you want to stay in the ger or not? I looked away. A Mongolian girl from the ger camp stood waiting by the side. It was windy, cold and raining. Let's go! I continued to set up our tent. Are you crazy?! Just to save $10? How to pitch a tent in this weather? 

That night, it poured heavily and the strong wind could have swept our tent away. It was a relief to have a more sturdy "roof" over our heads even though the ger was leaking. Every night before we sleep, I would play songs from my iPod in our tent. It felt comforting listening to familiar songs in the wilderness. As I listened to 喜欢寂寞, tears started to well up in my eyes. I could not really comprehend why. I guess I was overwhelmed by the harsh weather and defeated by Mother Nature. 

You Might Also Like

0 comments