Arrowtown Chinese Settlement & Bush Creek Trail

November 09, 2013

On HT's second to last day in NZ, we visited the partially restored Arrowtown Chinese Settlement to read about the lives of the Chinese goldminers and the huts they live in. Visitors can try gold panning at the Dudley's Cottage or the Arrow River but neither of us were interested. If it's that easy to find gold, I believe any gold would have been gone by now. We finished in less than an hour and since the Bush Creek Trail is nearby, we went for a walk.





I didn't realise there were old pipes in the wall which were built by Chinese miners to divert water from one side to the other so that they can dig for gold on the dry side.


I was quite amused with the fact that they would rather get their feet wet than use the bridge.


I had no idea the trail had a few crossings that require us to take off our shoes in order to get to the other side.



Finally out of the bush with my pants still rolled up waiting for my legs to dry


The track disappears after this point and there were no signs at all. It didn't feel right to continue so we turned back. Years later when I read the track description and duration again, I seriously think we have reached the end of the track.


We must have crossed the creek at least 10 times now jeez


Last shopping in Queenstown - can't go back without Cookie Time!


With our Fergburgers and all our barang barang (bags) on the left LOL

You Might Also Like

0 comments