Woofing at Freestone Backpackers

November 14, 2013

It's only after I got to Freestone that I realised how comfortable, cosy and clean Poplar Lodge was. The owners don't seem to get along with each other and the place hasn't been up to scratch. It was quite dirty and untidy and they don't even have proper cleaning aids! (Kerstin told me Jimmy uses the dish washing liquid to clean everything.) It's remote here and I miss having other woofers around.


I lived in the bottom house on the right. Cleaning a village is tiring because I had to climb up and down the hill every time I forget to take a pillow case or plastic bag.


Kitchen and fridge space was insufficient in a 4 bedroom house that can sleep up to 8 guests


The uninviting lounge with mismatching pieces of furniture


Kerstin was so pleased with my housekeeping work that she gave me a thank you hug even before the end of my stay.


Old coin operated washing machine and dryer. There is a key hanging behind the washing machine that opens the money box so that I can slot in some coins to get the laundry going.


Hang laundry also can slip and fall T_T


The owner's house and individual huts are up on a hill and quite spaced out. The huts are pretty basic with no electricity - similar to DOC huts on the tracks.


I have a room to myself but can't enjoy surfing the net from the comfort of my bed. I have to climb up to the owner's house with my laptop and would hide under the deck to use their wifi.

You Might Also Like

0 comments