Circle Track Fail

November 19, 2013

Went for a picnic with the German ladies after work. I waited quite long and was abit angry with Kerstin for wasting my time waiting aimlessly for her to finally get going as I could have done more productive things while waiting. Cora and I eventually went, followed Kerstin through the bushes and up the hills. There were no signs along the way and it looks like the lookout is only known to locals. The view was way better than View Hill.






By the time we were done it was around 3pm and Cora still wanted to go kayaking. We stuffed the paddles into her car and parked near the jetty. I was apprehensive about our ability to get the double kayak out of this mess but Cora was determined. I was in pants and shoes and still wondering if I should try and stay dry when Cora picked me up and carried me into the kayak!



We were SWARMED with sandflies when we paddled across the lake to the other side; lucky it was a short row. Cora and I parted ways from this point; she went for a swim and since I can't swim I decided to try the Circle Track, a 3.5-4 hours loop walk. I wasn't at the start of the track; Kerstin suggested cutting through the bushes to get onto the main track.



I crashed through the very thick bush and vegetation for a long time but can't seem to get out of the bush. I had no idea if I'm still going straight or moving sideways to nowhere. I started to panic. I didn't have enough supplies with me and I have to get out before it gets dark. The saving grace was there was reception in the woods. I telephoned Cora first to tell her I was lost and I will be shouting out for her to see if we could hear/locate each other. I then rang Kerstin to tell her I was in a bit of trouble. She apologised saying it was her stupid idea and said she'll be making her way to the jetty.



I kept shouting for Cora hoping she could hear me. It was dead silent in the forest and there was no one in sight. I was so deep in the bush that it was as hard to turn back as it was to press on. I felt really helpless and kept talking to myself to stay calm. I figured if I keep walking in the direction where I can see light, that should lead me out of the bush. Somehow, I finally managed to get onto the main track. I was so happy when I saw the orange marker.



But I had no idea which was the shorter way back to the jetty. It was a loop track and either way would lead me back but it would take me ages to return if I went one big round. I went with my instinct and was so relieved when I finally found the jetty. THANK GOD! 🙏🙏🙏



Cora coming to my rescue! We were so glad and relieved we found each other. I was lost in the forest for two hours that day. Lucky to come out in one piece and only had a tear on my shirt sleeve. Thank you so much Cora for saving my life!!! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments