4D3N Milford Track: Happy Birthday & Yes I Will

November 21, 2013

RS and I reunited on my birthday in Te Anau after living apart for about one month. We caught up with each other on the bus and on the boat; there was just so much to talk about we didn't listen to the cruise commentary or take photos. After getting off the boat, everyone wanted a photo with the first DOC sign to mark the start of the 'finest walk in the world' and then somebody said "Ok we can go home now" lol. It was a cold and drizzly start on the first day to Clinton Hut; an easy 1 hour walk through beech forest and then nothing to do for the rest of the afternoon.





Weather got better and we went out for a walk after lunch. At the helipad, he suddenly told me to turn around while he retrieved something out of the bag. It was a photo of his sand writing at New Brighton beach. I wasn't expecting anything from him and I was happy he made the effort to give me something on the track.



As we were putting the piece of paper back in the file, he said "We have been together for so long and I would like to spend the rest of my life with you..." and pulled out another piece of paper. It was another sand writing that took me slightly longer to figure out. I couldn't believe what I was seeing or hearing. He took out a black box and opened it.



I was so moved and so happy I cannot recall did I say "Ok" or just nod my head and gave him a hug. RS took my ugly hand and slotted the ring on my fourth finger but the ring was too loose lol. He cooked dinner for me while I admired my ring and reveled in his sweet and effortless proposal. (After the walk I checked my email at Frankton and learned that my partnership visa had been approved on my birthday!) On my 27th birthday, I was blessed with the best birthday presents. A lifetime commitment and one more year to stay in this beautiful country. What more can I ask for?


Clinton Hut helipad :)



The track begins to get more interesting on the second day; through Clinton Valley with countless waterfalls trickling down rock surfaces all around. There were many avalanche zone signs warning people not to stop until the next safe area sign but they were largely ignored as the views were irresistible not to stop for photos. We took around 7 hours to reach Mintaro Hut.








Long day ahead on Day 3 involving a climb up to Mckinnon Pass and a long descent down to Dumpling Hut with a 1.5 hours side trip in between. I made breakfast while he washed up this morning. We set off at 8am and saw many lovely Mount Cook lilies along the way. Reached the top at about 10.30 but couldn't see a thing due to fog. Waited for the sky to clear and luckily it did quite quickly. It was so cold, so clear and so beautiful.





The Mackinnon Pass Memorial was built to commemorate Quintin Mackinnon who discovered this pass




Mackinnon Pass highest point






Countless suspension bridges


Guided walkers with day packs tailing closely behind


Stopped at Dudleigh Falls for lunch and the group of students passed us. Finally reached the Quintin Shelter and we dropped our packs to Sutherland Falls. It was the most powerful and tallest waterfall I have seen so far.



Bunk mates woke us up at around 6.50am. Finished up muesli and set off at 8am on the last day from Dumpling Hut to Sandfly Point. I carried the 50l bag for about 5 hours, changing over when we put on our rain covers as it started to drizzle. My shoulders were super sore and wet towards the end. It was mostly flat terrain on the last day but it felt really long and tiring; I had to push myself to keep going.



Arthur River


Mackay Falls


Old couple in their 70s repeating Milford Track for the second time


Giant Gate Falls



Reached Sandfly Point at around 1.20pm. We were the last few to arrive; most of the pack were already there.



Captain: "Thank you for walking four days to take this 15 mins boat ride with me. I really appreciate it."


Can't feel ma legs anymore


Celebrated return to civilisation at Te Anau and successful completion of a memorable walk 

You Might Also Like

0 comments