Queenstown: Skyline Road to Bob's Peak

November 02, 2013

The Skyline Road (or sometimes known as Skyline Access Road) is an alternative route up to Bob's Peak without having to pay ($35 one way) for the gondola ride. There's a web of walking and mountain bike trails that link up to the Skyline Road throughout the forest. On my first visit to Queenstown, I tried the Tiki Trail which starts at the gondola base building near Brecon St. The last 600m follows the Skyline Road towards the top of the gondola. 



I kept going until I couldn't go any further as the track appeared to be closed due to snow...



I went back the next day and tried a different route; this time starting from Lomond Crescent. It was a bloody sharp climb up to the start of Ben Lomond Forest and the rest was going round and round the hill via Skyline Access Road (yellow solid track) for over an hour to reach the top.






I slumped onto a nice and flat concrete patch when I finally reached, feeling both tired and rewarded by the sweeping views of the Remarkables and Lake Wakatipu. After catching my breath, I realised I was lying on a helipad! It was a windy day but that didn't stop people from having a picnic and zipping down the luge track.





Three days later, I went up again, this time with my friend. I've only just started exploring Queenstown on my own and the gondola was the only place I was confident of going without getting lost. We stood outside her hotel and I showed her where we were going, pointing to the building up the hill. I advised her to take the gondola up and I'll walk as fast as I could up the hill and meet her at the top. I felt bad that she chose to walk up with me instead.





This is by far my favourite photo of us in our many years of friendship :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments